Sunday, May 2, 2010

Mince Chow Mein

During my junior year in College I went on a study abroad to New Zealand. While I was there I lived with a wonderful family near Invercargill. They were amazing cooks! I wish I would have brought a lot more recipes home with me but one that I do have and love is Mince Chow Mein. For all of you that are unfamiliar with the term "mince", all it is is ground beef - nothing to be scared of. For those of you who don't like spice, don't worry about the curry powder. It is such a small amount that it really does just add flavour, no spice. This dish is served over rice and results in a great Chinese dish with a New Zealand twist. It makes a large amount and could probably feed between 4-6. We love the leftovers so it works for two of us as well. I give this recipe 5 STARS but probably because it has sentimental value for me. My husband gives it 4 STARS which must mean that it is a 4 1/2 STAR recipe.

1 lb ground beef
2 tbsp butter
2 packets of chicken noodle soup or 4 tbsp of chicken bouillon
1/2 small cabbage (shredded)
1 cup sliced green beans (fresh, frozen or canned)
2 medium onions
2 tsp curry powder
1 tbsp brown sugar
2 tbsp rice
2 cups hot water
2 tbsp soy sauce
salt and peeper to taste

Brown beef in large fry pan. Drain excess fat and add butter. Stir in onions and green beans. Cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until onions are translucent. Add soup mix, curry powder, sugar, rice, water and soy sauce. Stir well. Cover and allow to simmer over low heat, stirring a few times, for about 10 minutes. Mix in shredded cabbage. Cover again and allow to cook for another 6-10 minutes until cabbage is cooked. Serve over a bead of rice and enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment