Wednesday, April 24, 2013

French Toast Casserole

I made this a few months ago for a breakfast potluck. I brought home the leftovers and after my husband tasted it he announced that it was his new favorite breakfast. That is always good to hear :) Since then I have probably made it 7 or 8 times. I have found that it is a great way to use the leftover baguette that we did not finnish with dinner the night before. I have also made it with sourdough bread and it is delicious.

5 heaping cups of bread cubes
4 eggs
1 1/2 cups milk
2 Tbsp sugar
1/4 tsp salt
1 tsp vanilla extract

1 Tbsp + butter or margarine

2 Tbsp sugar
1 tsp cinnamon

Preheat oven to 350C or 160F. Lightly grease a small casserole dish (around 8x8in).

Cut bread into bite size pieces (if using a baguette I cut the slices into 4) and place in prepared casserole dish. 

In medium bowl, beat eggs. Add milk, sugar, salt and vanilla and whisk until slightly frothy. Pour mixture over bread. Let stand for 10 minutes. 


While sitting, dot evenly with small squares of butter.


Combine remaining sugar and cinnamon. Sprinkle over top of bread and bake for 35-45 minutes, until top is dark golden brown.

Serve with maple syrup and enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment